After starting the latest budget-friendly revamp of Chaos HQ’s tiny kitchen, I decided to update our old and shabby window covering. I soon found out exactly how expensive sun-blockout window blinds are and instantly crossed a new one off the list.
Our budget is super minimal and I love to recycle and re-use things whenever I can, so I started searching the internet for instructions on covering my existing blind with a fabric. To be honest, I really didn’t come across anything helpful at all.
So this project became a ‘I’m just going to give it a whirl and see what happens’ kind of project. Yes, these things happen often around here at Chaos HQ!
I went to our local fabric store, thinking I could cover the blind with a colour co-ordinating material, only to find a small range of fabric and nothing that was actually wide enough to go across the blind… (Insert big pouty face here).
I went home disappointed and plonked on the couch gazing in the direction of the freshly wallpapered lounge-room feature wall. It suddenly hit me! I had some left-over pieces of wallpaper, and it would then co-ordinate perfectly with the rest of the main living areas!!!
So I dug out the spare paper, took the window blind down and got to work…..
Here’s how I did it!
You really need a flat surface. If you have a massive table, make use of it other wise it’s probably best to lay the blind out on the floor, so long as it’s a smooth surface and not carpet.
Measure the width of the blind and cut your pieces of wallpaper wide enough to cover it. Be sure to match your wallpaper pattern, even if that means you have a fair bit of extra paper to trim off from the edges.
To stick the wallpaper to the window blind, I just used the left-over wallpaper glue from doing our lounge room. If I didn’t have any of this available I would have just purchased a spray adhesive from a craft or hardware store. A spray adhesive would have a much faster drying time 😉
I brushed the glue on fairly thick, then wiped off any excess glue that squished out with a baby wipe, as I smoothed the paper down with the heel of my hands.
Make sure to leave enough wall paper on the first piece you lay down to fold under the bottom of the blind so you get a neat edge.
I placed a row of clothes pegs along the end fold to hold it in place while the glue dried.
I started at the bottom of the blind as it’s a lot longer than the actual window and the top part will never be seen, so there was no need to cover it up that far.
Repeat the process for the second and third sheets of paper but be sure to match the pattern before you apply the glue to this section of the blind. This eliminates the mess if you have to slightly move your paper.
Smooth the paper down with your hands, and wipe away any excess glue with a baby wipe.
When you have all the pieces stuck down, leave it until it is almost dry. Check it to make sure the paper hasn’t noticeably shrunk, and carefully trim along the edges of the blind with some sharp scissors.
Once I had trimmed the edges of the blind, I put it up in the window to completely dry it whilst hanging. You can see in the picture that I used a peg to hold down the join in the paper along the edge, which I removed once the glue had completely set.
I also added a cute little silver curtain tied back with a ribbon and was happy with the final look of the window.
The project cost me $14.95 for the curtain and the rest of the revamp was created with items that we had already purchased for our home make-over.
* A Window Blind
* Wallpaper Glue or an adhesive spray glue
* Paint Brush
* Baby Wipes
If wallpaper is not your thing, I am certain that this same process would work with a piece of fabric and a spray glue. The options are endless……