The Good, The Bad & The Freaking Awesome Things About Blogopolis 2011.
A while back I booked a ticket. I nervously clicked the ‘purchase now’ button as I had no idea what to expect. Was I too new to go? Would I know anyone? Would I understand the jargon they would go on about?
With butterflies in my belly, I turned to my hubby and stated, I’m going to BLOGOPOLIS!!!!
Over the next few weeks my excitement was building. I was looking forward to a night out in Melbourne with my hubby, but most of all, I was looking forward to meeting some people that just plain ‘understood’ all about the blogosphere. With plans in place, we headed down to Melbourne on the Friday morning for a pre arranged meeting with some very awesome ladies!
For those of you that don’t know, I am part of a Facebook Page Team called The Shrinking Housewife. The page was started by Katrina, writer of The Organised Housewife blog. Its there to motivate parents on their weight-loss journey, and with the help of Jodie from www.deadsea.com.au, we’ve really established quite a community of ‘shrinkies’.
So at lunchtime on friday, The shrinking Housewife Team came together for the very first time! It was so fantastic to meet Kat & Jodie, we had a lovely lunch together and even avoided The Chocolate Box shop that was near by!
Later that afternoon, I rediscovered my love of shopping in Melbourne. I didn’t buy much, I just loved checking everything out. I can’t wait to head back again soon for a real shopping splurge!!!
Friday night saw my hubby and I catching up with Kat again over dinner at the Match Bar & Grill. The meal was lovely, although very very spicy!!! hahaha. Pre-drinks were held at this venue as well. I hadn’t pre booked my ticket to this event as I was unsure of plans right up until the last minute, but with no offence to the lovely organisers, I’m kind of glad I didn’t.
It was packed, I felt so squished and unable to move. The lights were dim and the noise was far worse than my house on Christmas morning. A lot to deal with for someone that lives on a quarter acre house block. I couldn’t see anyone I might recognise, I couldn’t get to them if I did and I certainly wouldn’t have been able to hear them very well over the thumping music.
Tip for the future: Bigger & Slightly Quieter Venue next time please!!! LOL
So we left the bar and headed back to the motel for a relaxing spa. Ahhhh BLISS! This overworked mumma was in relaxation heaven. Until the water went cold and she went wrinkly of course. Shortly after that I konked out, totally zonked and in need of a full nights sleep!
BLOGOPOLIS!!!! Ok, What is Blogopolis? It was a full day masterclass conference put on by Nuffnang (Blog Advertising company) covering several important aspects of blogging. It temporarily fried my brain with goodness. It was a massive amount of information to take in and digest, especially for someone new to blogging and totally not computer minded like me, but totally worth every second of the brain fry!
I have come out of that conference with a hugely greater understanding of several key blogging things and I can’t wait to apply some of these things to my blog in the future.
I am going to blog down the rest of this post in dot points.
What I loved about Blogopolis:
* The opportunity to meet some very inspirational bloggers.
* Listening to ProBlogger Darren Rowse talk.
* Grasping the meaning of terms such as SEO – told you I was a newbie LOL.
* All the tips and hints the presenters gave to help improve blog content.
* The rolling Twitter board that kept us all amused and suppressing giggles.
What I think could’ve been better:
* Seating arrangements – I am shy – I find it very hard to talk to people I don’t know, so placing me on a table of total blogging strangers was somewhat daunting and left me wishing there was just one person I had read or even vaguely recognised on my table.
* Name Tags – I know this will sound a little petty, but I felt like I spent a majority of my day squinting at people’s chests trying to catch a glimpse of a name or blog. We were all there for the Nuffnang event, why did the tags have Nuffnang written on them a fair bit larger that peoples names!!! Argh – I missed putting a face/name to so many blogs that I read.
*Morning & Afternoon Tea – I’m a Shrinking Housewife!!!! I’m hardly going to be seen, let alone photographed scoffing down muffins and chocolate mousse am I??? Ok, I dont eat choc mousse anyway but it’s not the point.
*Last whinge – Ok, this one is no ones fault but my own, but it seems I may have missed the most exciting/networking moment of the day. I so wanted to attend Post Blogopolis drinks, but mummy duties came first and I had to head home to whoop whoop to relieve one tired and worn out grandma. So look out next time, I’ll be there with bells on!
The Freaking Awesome:
* Peace my friends, PEACE. A whole 2 days without hearing the word ‘MUM’ whined and whinged at me. Some time for my hubby and I to spend together. And most of all, A FULL NIGHTS SLEEP!!! It may have only been 6 and a half hours but it was uninterrupted, no Levi feet in my face, not a finger stuck up my nose or a stray blanket in sight.
So…. When are we bloggers….errr…..organising another “conference”…… ????? Hehehehe!